Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Our Means to an End

The experiences we have along the way are the reasoning and drive behind our trip. The people we meet, sights we see, laughs we share and fears we encounter. They create the why. The impetus for doing what we're doing. However, none of it would be possible without the gear we've chosen to bring along with us on the trip. The means with which we are able to actually meet our goals. Some of it has been with me since San Diego. Some has been sent to me from home, while others I've bought along the way or begrudgingly ordered online when the local options simply didn't cut the mustard (such a strange saying. Who cuts mustard? Why must you cut mustard? Are you diluting it or separating it from its kin? I think you're buying the wrong mustard). I've replaced gear I purchased with penny-pitching narrow-mindedness before the trip. Cheap gear with lifespans lower in worth than their minimal price tags. Careless placeholders to be swapped for something which serves the same purpose, only more durable, burly or practical. Some gear has been ditched along the way in the hands of passerby. I use some of it multiple times per day and others I go a week without touching. However, I believe I've narrowed it down to the most practical set of gear I can carry. 

It's hard to know exactly what one will need until the trip actually begins and a few miles are divvied up to days passed. Nobody wants to admit they're a gearhead, but to many of us who adventure, the gear really can make or break an experience. It determines whether you stay dry in torrential rain, get a full night of sleep, cook a proper meal or even complete a trip intact. All while being comfortable along the way. Comfort is especially important when you're on the road for five months and need to feel at ease throughout it. It's not a weekend or weeklong backpacking trip in which scraping by as a minimalist is a fun challenge. In the end, you gotta get the gear

The benefits offered by working at the Boise State Cycle Learning Center were instrumental in creating this trip. Benefits in the form of discounted employee purchases, coating my Surly and nearby air with noxious frame-saver in the evening hours, the tools used to spend six hours modifying fender brackets, or the camaraderie which occurred all along the way. Arriving at work in the morning to Brian explaining a neat touring blog or dream build of his, complete with all available options of Thomson flair. 

While Wes and I have only been on our trip for a month and a half, it took us about 8 months of prior planning before we even met up for the trip. Planning seemed almost nightly at times. It may have even driven our family, friends and girlfriends a little crazy. Blabbing on about routes and gear ideas for a trip they weren't planning, yet they still had to provide input for. My days working at the bike shop were spent bouncing gear and gadget possibilities off the minds of Brian and Phil for hours on end. What I'm getting at is the collective research and experiments with different methods is what creates the most well-oiled machine. I read numerous blogs and articles, from around the world, about pack lists and would like to reciprocate. Anybody out there planning a trip, for two, from the East to West between the summer and fall months? I hope this can help you, just as I received help from many others. 

As I stare at it all from underneath my rainfly outside of Blacksburg, Virginia, my thoughts and exact gear consists of:


Surly Disc Trucker 2012. Stock, except:

Brooks Flyer saddle (with crucial rain cover). Touring? If so, then you already know. Took about 300 miles to become comfortable. 800 to feel broken in to my sit bones. 1200 miles to find it perfectly battered to fit my booty like a glove. Had to tighten it a few turns at around 600 and 1,400 miles. I've only applied Proofide three times and I'm very happy I've broken it in slowly. The springs make an incredible difference and are well worth the weight. Everything from a slight movement while pedaling, to full absorption while riding over train tracks. Lastly, the Flyer S is a little more expensive, but comes with the overpriced rain cover and is far more gorgeous. The basic Flyer does not come with the rain cover. Worth it to get the Flyer S, in my opinion.

MKS Sylvan Touring pedals. They aren't quite as big of a platform as I would like, but everything else about them is great. Smooth and serviceable if they ever decide to lose their smooth character. I started the strip with Fyxzation Mesa 66 Alloy pedals. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on them, yet right out of the box, they clicked every once in a while. I rebuilt them, yet they still clicked. Go with MKS Touring pedals. They're funky looking, affordable and get the job done. Simply make sure you're wearing shoes with stiff soles to compliment the pedals. They definitely aren't large platform pedals and therefore a lot of painful flexing in your arch will occur if you ride with soft soles. Five Ten Freeriders are good casual shoes with a really stiff sole.

Power Grips pedal straps. These have made it possible to ride without clipless shoes. They create enough upwards and backwards pull that I can't imagine clipping in for touring. Yes it would probably be a slight bit better, but not worth the extra pair of shoes for me. Get a stiff pair of Five Ten shoes and you'll be golden. The Power Grips can only (without modification) be mounted to pedals with the two holes for reflectors. I was an idiot and overtightened, and therefore seized and stripped the bolt which adjusts the straps. Luckily a D.C. bike shop was able to extract it, tap a larger hole, and replace with a larger bolt. Made in the U.S.A., so be sure to yell ‘Merica when you buy them. 

Planet Bike Cascadia fenders. They're fenders. They do what they are expected to. No complaints, especially for the cost. 

Tubus Cargo rear rack and Duo front rack. Hueso and I have come to the conclusion that racks are the most important component/accessory to spent a little money on for touring. Lights, fenders, etc, all undergo little wear compared to the forces racks will experience. When stuffed, your front pannier will exert quite a bit of torsional force on your front rack. Add a little extra food weight in anticipation of a couple days without restocking and you may end up with a sheared bolt in your fork or frame. Maybe a snapped aluminum rack, which can't be easily welded even if a machinist is found. I highly suggest the strength and reliability of steel racks. Although steel is heavier than aluminum, aluminum racks are usually solid, while steel ones are always hollow. Therefore the weights usually balance out or are at least comparable. Steel racks flex less than aluminum racks and will almost always have a higher load rating. Steel does indeed have the drawback of rust. Rubbing of the panniers will indeed cause the paint to become vapor, bare metal to show, and rust to form. I've combatted this on my rear rack using a combination of old tubes and zip ties. It's worked great to prevent paint rub and has also served as a dampener for the rattling plastic-on-metal sound, which can occur when panniers aren't loaded enough to weight them against the racks. My front rack setup doesn't allow the tube method, but it's not the end of the world. I carry touch up paint and simply dab a little on there every few weeks. Realistically, it's only necessary to carry such a thing on multi-month tours. For shorter tours, simply be aware of it, check it when the ride is over, and touch up as needed. That is, if you're anal about it like I am. Otherwise, let your racks wear like most reasonable humans do. Companies (such as Tubus) also make stainless steel and titanium racks, but these superior metals often double the price tag. Twice as expensive, but offer freedom from the woes of rust and alien magnetic forces while touring through New Mexico. I have the Tubus Cargo rack on the back and realize why it's often considered the standard for world touring. Regardless of how much weight I load on it, I can't get the rack to flex a single centimeter. Absolutely no movement. This is important considering it is flex and movement that usually cause bolts to flex, fatigue and break. It has a platform on top, in which I place my tent and camp chair. Tubus does make a rear rack with lower pannier attachment points. I could see it having two benefits. Lower center of gravity for heavy panniers and more space between your panniers and the gear strapped atop the rack. The additional space would allow for more secure attachment of the gear to the rack platform and also more room when opening the rear panniers. In the front, I'm using the Tubus Duo racks. They have the two crucial features which I think a front rack needs. First of all, they are "low rider" racks. This means the panniers are well below the top of the tire and therefore hold front pannier weight in an area with a low center of gravity. This is especially important up front where having the weight up high can negatively affect steering. Second, the upper mount on each rack, bolts into both sides of the fork. This creates a lowrider setup which is also incredibly sturdy. Note: your bike's front fork must have mid-blade mounting holes on both the inside and outside of the fork blades. Hueso tried the aluminum route, going with racks made my Axiom. He threw away and replaced his rear rack in New Hampshire. His front racks have sheared two bolts. With every pedal rotation, his front panniers flex back and forth. He absolutely hates them. Bottom line, steel racks are the only way to go and Tubus makes the best damn ones on the market. Kick over the extra money and pedal in peace. After all, they carry all the weight which makes you a tourer. 

Shimano Alfine front dynamo hub. I know very little about how they work. Yes, magnets rotating around a central point create a charge which is output as useful energy. That's all I know, but I know this dynamo does it well. More expensive dynamos will offer on/off switches and produce less drag. In my opinion, the drag is so minimal that I have no need for a toggle switch. The average dynamo zaps 1-3 watts of energy. Whereas dirty chains soak up 8-12 watts more than clean, oiled chains. Variances in tire design can affect the rider with more than 20 watts of power loss. The average rider puts out 150 watts, whereas professional cyclists can put out around 350. As my estimate only, tourers riding every day probably average out at 200 watts. In my opinion, 0.5-1.5% drag is well worth the benefits of always having a light running for safety, as well the magical ability to charge a cell phone via my legs. 

Revolution USB dynamo charger (Bright-Bike Labs). This product has completely revolutionized bicycle touring. As we travel about in this technologically-rich era, we have access to so many tools which were unavailable just a few years ago. GPS is able to tell us where the safest and fastest route is. iPhones enable us to locate the nearest water, restaurant or grocery store. Compact digital cameras allow us to document all of it, without the handling and storage of film. Rechargeable lights eliminate the reliance of disposable batteries. There's a catch though. All of it requires charging! Some tourers stay in a hotel or B&B every night and the charging aspect isn't as crucial. For those of us who camp for a majority of the nights, we need a way to create and store energy. Running Google Maps and taking photos drains my battery from 100% to 0% by the end of the day if I don't have anything to charge off of. The Revolution has completely removed this worry. If nothing is running on my phone and I'm riding at a steady pace, it provides a full charge within a couple hours. Without major apps running, it recharges my phone incredibly quickly. When I'm running Google Maps and Strava simultaneously (both apps are notoriously known for sucking battery life), the Revolution provides enough charge to maintain the battery and even give it a 30% charge within a couple hours. Incredible considering the amount of battery required to run both those apps. Charging begins at 3.5 mph. Once the bicycle reaches 9 mph, it's charging the phone (or any USB device) as fast as it would from a wall charger. Bombing down hills at 40 mph will not harm the controller or your device, because it has a built in overload protection. It's amazing to pedal around and watch as riding a bicycle charges my entire digital life. I use the charger to charge my phone in the beginning of the day, but in order to make sure I'm storing all the energy created, I hook it up to an external battery pack for the remainder of the day. That way I can fully charge my phone again for blogging once I slip into my hammock at night.  The Revolution came with very simple instructions and was installed on my bicycle within ten minutes. The polarity of the wires does not matter and therefore either wire can go in either port of the dynamo. I mounted the controller right on my stem, exposed to the elements, but that's alright because it's waterproof! Most importantly, the customer service offered by Bright-Bike Labs is enough to have my loyalty. Emails are answered promptly and with in-depth answers to any question. Hueso tried out a similar product made by Pedal Power and has had only bad experiences. The provided battery in his kit stopped working. Next, the charger itself stopped working completely. I use the Revolution and it's worked flawlessly for every day, mile and charge percentage of the trip. 



Ibera handlebar camera pack. I purchased this bag two weeks ago and it has completely changed my tour. The previous handlebar bag (made by Axiom) was my worst gear choice of the trip. Horrible design and so incredibly weak. So weak that I had to keep my DSLR in my pannier and therefore never used it. With the Ibera bag, my camera is now right on my handlebar and used hourly. I'm sure the bracket is plenty strong, but bumps and dirt excursions definitely make me nervous as it is bouncing up and down. I've wrapped paracord around a strap on the bag and attached it to my stem. It now has a little more stability and at least a fail-safe catch in the event the plastic bracket ever decides to give. Can't have my camera tumbling down a highway. The handlebar bag has a touchscreen friendly sleeve on top of it. Velcro holds a phone in the pouch for easy viewing, while riding. Unfortunately, my phone constantly overheats if left within the pouch in direct sunlight. On cloudy or overcast days, it works great. Direct sunlight for anything more than 10 minutes causes my phone to go into standby high temperature mode. I'm not sure if it's due to my iPhone case being black or heat from the phone and sun not being able to escape the pouch. Lastly, the rain cover is a silly shape for the handlebar bag. It covers the tops and sides, but the back has a large gap and creates a lip on the bottom for rain to catch and funnel into. Without a drain hole on the cover, water can pool and soak into the camera bag from the bottom. Hasn't happened yet, but could be disastrous with a DSLR in the bag. I keep pepper spray attached to the bag. Never know when you'll need it!


Abus Bordo 90mm combo lock. The design and idea behind this lock is amazing. Very strong and theft deterring, yet compact. Tucks underneath the downtube of my frame perfectly by utilizing the third bottle cage mount. Regarding the design, the only thing it lacks is an LED light to illuminate the combo area. May seem like I'm being picky, but it's amazing how much convenience is provided by an illuminated combo area if you're a person who commutes at night. Lastly, I definitely bought the wrong model for bicycle touring. I  purchased the standard length. Worked well as a commuter lock when I was locking to small diameter objects, such as racks, benches, fences, etc. While touring, I rarely find something which I can lock to without some sort of finagling. Abus makes a Bordo Big model, which opens up to 120cm. That would have been perfect. Too late now though, especially with how expensive they are. If you're making the initial investment though, I'd suggest the Bordo Big for touring. 

Topeak Road Master Blaster frame pump. I have so much dislike for this pump that it's hard to transcribe into words. I directly blame it for tearing 3 tubes at the valve stem while adding air. It's too long of a pump for how much resistance it has. Therefore, it takes a lot of force to pump it, throwing the valve stem back and forth at the end of each stroke, and rubbing the valve stem on the rim until it rips. I've grown tired of being overly careful with it and now use Wes' smaller Lezyne pump. Further more, I've ordered the Lezyne Microfloor pump and will be getting it at my uncle's house, in Asheville. We essentially have an early Christmas waiting for us in the form of an Amazon order. Update: I now have the Lezyne pump and it is exactly what I had hoped for. Solid design and mounts onto the bike nicely. The hose on it allows for inflating without any wiggling of the stem and therefore rubbing on the tube. 

2 water bottle cages. For H2O and 30oz MSR fuel bottle. I keep the MSR pump on the fuel bottle. It's enough fuel to last us for a week of dinner, breakfast, and endless cocoa. 


Cateye Micro Wireless cycle computer. Shows all the basic functions needed. At times, it doesn't turn on automatically. I sometimes miss the beginning of the ride due to this, but usually recognize it within a mile or so. The illuminating function on it is super confusing and I still haven't figured it out. Seems to work when it pleases. The magnet for the sensor fell off, but I've now had it replaced with a burly magnet that actually screws on with a bolt. It's not going anywhere. It may seem like I have a bad taste in my mouth about it, but that's not the case. It's amazing to see how far we travelled and the average miles per hour through the day. Records the total trip distance also. It has it's finicky issues, but I've never used a cycle computer that didn't. I kinda wish I would have gotten the Cateye Adventure in order to see elevation gain, but oh well. I didn't because it uses GPS and therefore sucks batteries down much quicker. 

Pinhead locking components on the axle bolts and headset. Eliminates people being able to steal a wheel. More importantly for touring, it allows me to quickly lock up to my front wheel when positioning my bike frame near a post is impossible with all the gear on it.  

Velo Orange steering stabilizer. Simply helps keep the handlebars straight while it's leaning up against something. It definitely didn't come ready to bolt on. A lot of modification when into it through bending the metal mounting bracket and cutting down the plastic clamp on the frame. I don't see how it mounts without modification on any 700c bike with fenders. It often creaks after rains. I simply squirt a little chain lube on the spring and it's good to go. 

Planet Bike Blinky 5 light on rear rack. Works great. The only rear light I could find that mounts onto the European standard rack bracket, yet also blinks. Rear lights should all be able to blink in my opinion. Draws more attention and conserves battery life. 

NiteRider Lumina 650 front light. We call it "The Torch" or "The Light of God". As in Wes asking "Clayton...do you have The Light of God? Check to make sure there isn't a bear next to my hammock like I think there is." It's brighter than what is needed for average road riding. I bought it for mountain biking (which it works great for) and figured it would pair well with a trans-America ride. It pairs splendidly. Battery gusto for around 14 hours on low and 1.5 hours on high. Somewhere in between for medium, which I never use. Comes with mounts for both handlebar and helmet. Seeing a bicycle computer and checking current gear is much easier when mounted on the helmet. It also has a lock function, preventing it from accidentally turning on, which is nice when tossing it in a pannier. 

Bike Shepherd ID tags on fork and frame.

HANDLEBAR BAG:

Canon 60D DSLR camera with cheap 18-135mm lens. I really hope its internals make it safely to the Pacific. Can't be good for a camera mirror and shutter to vibrate across the country for 4,500 miles. In hindsight, a mirrorless camera would probably be the best bet. 

Microfiber lens cloth

8oz sunscreen 

Sunglasses. Cheap because they will get scratched. From a gas station in Maine. 

Multi-tool

Lighter

Pocket knife

2 rubberbands

Apple usb cord and wall adapter. 

Headphones

FRONT RIGHT PANNIER:

MSR WhisperLite International stove. The international model burns a variety of fuels, rather than the standard white gas, which most other stoves utilize. We started out using white gas, yet realized we would have spent hundreds of dollars on fuel once we crossed the country. We now use regular unleaded gasoline and it costs us about 50 cents to fill up, compared to the $8, or more, we would be spending on white gas at camping stores. Our 30oz tank lasts us for about a week of cooking breakfast, dinner, and all the hot beverages needed for rainy days. The unleaded gasoline definitely burns a lot sootier and creates a lot more odor than white gas, but the cost is worth it for us on a 5-month tour since we cook a large majority of our meals. We estimate that we'll spend about $25 on gas for the entirety of our trip.

MSR Quick Two pot set 
  • 1 big pot (which contains rest of set. Nesting dolls of the outdoor world.)
  • 1 smaller pot
  • 2 mugs with lids
  • 2 wide bowls 
  • 1 sponge
  • 1 pot scraper
2oz container of castile soap

GSI Fairshare mug. Use it as a bowl as well as a storage container for leftovers. It has a very tightly sealable lid. If it doesn't have food in it, I either use it to hold more water or the container of powdered Powerade we carry.

Food bag consisting of ever-changing items, but always containing:
  • 8oz plastic flask of olive oil
  • Peanut butter. I've been putting a dollop in my cocoa lately. Amazing!
  • Sriracha chili/garlic sauce
  • Tea
  • Hot cocoa
  • Mayo packets from gas stations 
  • Italian seasoning
  • Honey
  • Instant butter grits. Four packets every morning. 
FRONT LEFT PANNIER:

50 feet of paracord. Used for hanging food and tying drip lines to collect rain. The drip line currently funneling off my rainfly is filling a 12-cup pot every 20 minutes as I write this. 

Rock "n" Roll Gold chain lube, wrapped in a rag. Be sure to use only one side of the rag for wiping your chain and then wrapping that side against the container. This will help preserve pannier cleanliness. I have no reason to use any other lube. Great in all conditions. Supporting Boise, Idaho!

Stack of our "adventure cards". Complete with name, email, and blog addresses. Allows us to quickly and easily give our information to those who are interested. No phone numbers. I hate talking on the phone enough as it is. 

500gb external hard drive. 

Charger and remote shutter cable for my DSLR. 

All the random usb cables needed for the electronics of this digital age. Comes out to three of them. 

Book. Currently, The Twentieth Century by Howard Zinn. I've realized history is hard to read while traveling though and will be sending it home/leaving it in a coffee shop in exchange for some London and Kerouac. Update: sent it home to read at a later date.

Chaco Z/1 Yampa sandals. No toe loop! Stiff enough to ride in, yet not overly bulky like the original. They even fit in my Power Grips straps without a problem. They only rubbed through my skin on a day when we rode in the rain for hours and had soft feet. Didn't get the toe loop in fear of it cinching down too much. 2,000 miles and I haven't had any stability issues without the loop. Absolutely love these guys. They come with a ridiculous tan line at no additional cost. 

Goal Zero USB-rechargeable boombox. (I'm blasting Bassnectar, to Wes' dismay, as I write this in the rain.)

Anker E5 15,000mAh USB-rechargeable battery. It takes around 9 hours to charge, which we do at Warm Showers hosts' houses along the way. It provides the additional charge I need for Internet browsing and writing for over a week. Provides enough power to fully recharge my phone roughly 8 times. In short, it's been what has enabled me to write this blog. I never thought a battery would be in my top-five most used pieces of gear. 

Mesh bag of toiletries:.
  • Toothpaste and brush
  • Deodorant. Without antiperspirant. Let your body sweat like it's designed to! 
  • 3-in-1 hair/face/body wash. 
  • 1oz bottle of chamois butt'r. Only used a dab once, but when you need it, you really need it. 
  • Calamine lotion. Poison ivy may as well be the state plant in every eastern state. It's unavoidable if you are camping. It's everywhere and everything looks like it. Calamine lotion dries out the rash it creates. 
  • Small tube of Neosporin. I somehow end up doing something that makes me bleed every single day. I need to stop walking into things.
  • Medium-size 4oz bottle of Gold Bond medicated body powder. I can't explain how much I rely on the powers of this powder. It's the new cocaine. All those unpleasantly sweaty areas down south get covered in this powder every night. I pretty much open up my shorts, hold the bottle above them, then turn the bottle over for about 5 seconds. Sitting in a saddle all day will create moisture that you should never allow to baste you butt cheeks. Gold Bond dries, relieves and literally saves my ass. 
  • Tweezers. Looking forward to the first cactus battle in the deserts of the southwest. 
  • Nail clippers
  • Benadryl
  • Zyrtec. 24 hour pill for itching. For the day when poison ivy and I decide to go on a second date. 
  •  Shaving razor with a few extra blade cartridges. I'll be sending home all but one cartridge, for I have sworn off shaving my beard for the trip. I'll keep one razor for my neard (neck beard), which I consider an abomination of anything pleasant and comfortable. 
  • Some earth-friendly shave cream, made my Kiss my Face. Surely the worst shave cream I've ever used. You're welcome, planet. 
  • Floss. I actually keep this in a pocket within my hammock. Doing so has created a routine in which I floss every night before bed simply because it's right at eye level. In a month and a half I think I've only missed 2-3 nights. 
Side note: I've now begun blasting Donald Fagen out to this rainy day. Definitely rainy day music, it has also been referred to as my elevator music many times in the past. I hope some squirrel is squirreling around to it in the trees. 

REAR RIGHT PANNIER: 

Hennessy Expedition hammock, stuffed loosely at the very bottom of the pannier. If you're a hammock camper/lover, Hennessy makes a great hammock. They're amazing. Hammock, bug mesh and rainfly are all included. Sleeping in a hammock keeps you elevated above the wet ground, without the restrictions of compact ground. It feels as if I mold my own desirable sleep position with every movement I make. Specifically applicable to touring and other extended adventures, the sleeping position naturally elevates your feet slightly higher than your heart and helps counteract the buildup which occurs in one's legs after a long day of cycling. Additionally, it packs down to a size smaller than any 1 or 2-person tent I've seen, without the awkward dimensions and durability issues of tent poles. I have the velcro bottom-entry style. It's great for simplicity, reliability, and keeping bugs out. Very little can break and ruin a trip when you have the velcro entry. Additionally, if traveling in a very buggy area, the velcro entry causes the hammock to be sealed from bugs the entire time, aside from the couple seconds getting in and out of it, which is obviously unavoidable. The company also makes each hammock in a side-entry model, in which the bug mesh zips off of one side. The zip is more enjoyable in situations where one spends hours on end in their hammock. My hammock is completely dry and cozy right now, but I'm sitting underneath it because, although it's very spacious, many hours enclosed by the bug mesh would be claustrophobic to most people. In areas without any bugs, it would be nice to have the zip in order to openly view the trees and stars above. The side zip is also nice in the sense that it's easier to set up a pad and sleeping bag in it. I have to partially enter my velcro bottom-entry in order to set mine up. My next hammock with a bug net will surely have the zipper entry. It would be neat to use a hammock which utilizes both the velcro and zipper entries. In the end, Hennessy makes a great hammock for anybody looking to use one camping, backpacking, touring or really any other outdoor setting. High quality product, made of sturdy materials.





Hennessy Hex rainfly. An upgraded fly for my hammock. This rainfly is massive and therefore has its benefits and drawbacks. Packed down, it's roughly the same size as my hammock and weighs a little less. In fact, I use the original hammock bag in order to store the fly. That being said, its massive size is also what makes it amazing. I'm currently in a raging rain storm, yet my hammock, gear, and bike are all completely sheltered. With bike and gear covered, there's still plenty of room for a guy to sit in his chair and blog, without dealing with even the smallest of splashes. Hammocks are great when dry, but if allowed to get wet, can funnel water to your butt and make it so that you're soon sitting in a bath. The Hex fly would be great for winter camping and is extremely well designed. Although I wouldn't use it while backpacking, it serves a great purpose for bike touring and will surely be using it in the future. It's not extremely difficult to set up, but definitely takes a few more minutes than the original diamond-sized fly. Hennessy makes a diamond fly which is a little oversized for the Expedition. I have a feeling it would be the best overall fly for coverage and packability, unless one plans to be in a heavily rainy or windy region, in which the Hex Fly would work best. 


MSR Groundhog tent stakes (6). They're a little expensive and seem silly to spend money on. That being said, they work great, anchor securely, remove easily when it comes times to pack up and none have bent after the abuse I've put them through. I do everything they say you shouldn't. Kick/stomp them. Bang them in using rocks. None have bent. 

Exped DownMat 7. I've used numerous inflatable pads, many filled with down, and I am fully confident this is the best one out there. Most of the confidence is backed by one simple feature. It has an absolutely wonderful pump built into it. For those of you who use inflatable pads, you know what it's like to complete a long day, set up shelter and then begrudgingly use your lungs to inflate a pad at high elevation. Not just a few breaths. Enough of them to fully consume five minutes of your time. I breathe a lot in five minutes. More importantly, using your lungs to fill up a pad introduces moisture which eventually produces mold. It's common knowledge that mold smells horrible and structurally degrades gear. The pad is extremely warm, packs down very small and comes with a maintenance kit. I sleep in my boxers and it's kept me warm in a hammock, with a 45-degree sleeping bag over me, in temps down to 40 degrees. I'm fully confident that I'll be able to use only it and my 15 degree bag in temps that reach 0 and below. Yes, I'm a heater when I sleep, but still...it's perfect. 

Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 degree sleeping bag. Down-filled. Utilizes the Big Agnes system in which there is no insulation on the bottom side, but instead has an integrated sleeve in which the pad slips into. Saves weight, especially since all insulating properties of down are lost when compressed beneath a person's weight. I bought a long because the website says the regular is only good for up to 5'10". I'm 6' and this thing is way too long for me. I wish I would have purchased the regular. Furthermore, a 30-degree bag would have suited me a lot more for this specific trip. I've only been able to zip the bag up once. 

Kelty Wicking Liner. Essential if you plan to spend many weeks in and out of a down bag while dirty and sweaty. Down bags can't be washed as easily and frequently as synthetic bags. I've never washed a single down bag. Gross? Maybe. Bag liners put a removable material between you and your bag. Soaks up your nastiness and preserves the sleeping bag. Then, once you decide it's finally time to wash your clothes, throw the liner in with your laundry. Simple. It has button loops on each corner, as do most sleeping bags, which enables it to be snapped perfectly into the bag and be free of tangles. Lastly, it adds 5-10 degrees of warmth to a bag. Being a hot sleeper, this is actually a drawback for me which I could do without, but most others buy the liners with this as a benefit. 

My rain shell is always the most easily accessed item at the top of my pannier, which allows for quick access during a rain storm. Mine is covered in holes (over 20) and really isn't a shell anymore. It's simply a physically tangible excuse for not buying myself a new one. It'll probably serve this purpose for a few more years. Maybe even a decade. I'll pass it on to my brother's grandkids. 

REAR LEFT PANNIER:

Stuff sack of bottoms:
  • Jeans (1). Some may call this unnecessary, due to their weight and size. Personally, I don't go anywhere without a pair of jeans. They're tough, yet also great when looking to explore a city.
  • Mountain bike shorts (1)
  • Swim trunks (1). I pretty much live in these. Light, loose and quick-drying. 
  • Chamois (2). I wouldn't be doing this trip without my chamois. I have two pairs so I can wash one in a stream/bathroom at the end of the day, have it dry in the sun/wind the next day (while wearing the other pair), and be ready to wear the following day. 
  • Light thermal leggings (1). They've been used to keep me warm while cooking on a chilly night, act as a mosquito barrier and worked as temporary knee warmers when my actual warmers where covered in poison ivy oil (urushoil.)
Stuff sack of tops:
  • Cotton shirt (1). It's nice to blend in a bit when exploring a town.
  • Synthetic shirt (1). I've barely worn this shirt. Synthetic shirts are not for me when I don't have a way to constantly and consistently wash them. Yes they are comfy, breathable and cool on a hot day, but they smell putrid after being worn during a single session of sweat.
  • Long sleeve button up (1). Only worn twice, but the weather is also getting colder.
  • Short sleeve button up (2). I absolutely love these. Can be worn to look nice, yet I also wear them all day on the bike. Can be unbuttoned if I get hot.
  • Wool shirt (1). Most functional top in my arsenal. I love wool. Warm when I need it to be, even in rain. Light enough to be worn on scorching hot days. Most importantly, I can wear a wool shirt for multiple days and it will still smell relatively clean. In the future, I'll only bring wool on trips. This shirt was given to me as a trip gift, from my friend Lucas Meyer. You're the man, Meyer. Thank you very much. 
  • Synthetic tank top (1). Great for wearing while riding because it doesn't collect pit sweat. I can wear it a few days without it smelling. If riding shirtless, I keep the tank in an easily accessible place for walking into stores. 
Stuff sack of everything else:
  • 6 pairs of socks. Various heights. Mostly lightweight. One pair are heavier and wool for hiking and warmth. I run out of clean socks before anything else. They're usually the indicator of needing to do laundry. 
  • 5 pairs of boxers. 
Stuff sack for dirty clothes. People say this should be mesh in order for it breathe. Screw that. I don't want any of those horrid smells to escape. They can marinate and stew until I find a washing machine. 

Lightweight fleece. I throw this on every single night while cooking. It doubles as a slight pillow when I read and write in my hammock. It sits on top of all the stuff sacks in the pannier because it's always the first thing I put on when arriving at camp.

Sea to Summit DryLite towel. Small. Works great. Super absorbent and dries completely after being in the sun for ten minutes. 

Tools and parts:
  • 4,5,6mm individual hex keys 
  • 8/10mm Park tool wrench
  • Stein cassette lockring tool
  • (1) brake cable
  • (1) shift cable
  • (3) zip ties
  • Spare semi-metallic brake pads. Organic will not work as well with the added weight which comes with touring. 
External pockets of rear panniers (my quick-access stuff):

Two tubes

Set of Pedro's tire levers. I'm picky about my tire levers. I only buy Pedro's and have never snapped a lever. Lost many to the trails and friends though. I now only buy them in hot pink. 

Rema patch kit, with glue of course. In my opinion, glueless patches are an abomination of character, quality and time.

Bottle of pills:
  • Prescription poison ivy meds. They get rid of allergic poison ivy rashes within 3 days. For me personally, it's crucial for a tour of the East. Around 15% of the population are lucky enough to have no reaction to poison ivy. They may even be luckier than the more often talked about and privileged 0.1% of this country.
  • Multivitamins. Essential when your diet isn't very constant or rounded, such as when bicycle touring. Turmeric for the win.
  • Melatonin. These have saved me during so many nights. There's always something in the woods that wants to keep you awake. Melatonin makes lightning easy to sleep through. 
Headlamp. Nothing special. I give it three AAA batteries and it gives me a beam of light anywhere I look. 

Buff with outrageous colors and design. Stealth camping becomes a circus once I put it on. I use this as my beanie. I don't really utilize the neck/face/head variations of the buff, but I like how tiny it packs down and provides a little extra warmth for my head. Prime example of somebody realizing they could make millions by making the sleeve of a shirt look neat and feel comfortable. I support it. 

Clif Bars (4). The greatest form of sports nutrition ever created. Hands down. Not up for debate. They often serve as my breakfast or lunch meal. Update from years later: I've realized with time that Clif Bars are glorified cardboard. Avoid at all costs.

Silverware. Full-size fork, spoon and knife. Metal. You could get some fancy titanium silverware or grab the mismatched ones from your mother's kitchen before heading out. It's all the same when thrown on a bicycle. Save the double-sided plastic spork/knife for the space constraints of backpacking. 

Strapped on my rear rack, with a 4' boat strap:

Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 1 tent. I've only used it once and really only because I was excited to get it. I only plan on using it once we're in the desert and have no other options. Even then, I'll be looking for lone trees and rocks to hang my hammock. I'll write more about it then. Until then, I'm in my hammock! 

Crazy Creek Hex 2.0 foldable camping chair. Folds and rolls up much smaller than the original chair. Super light, cozy padding and durable. When laid out flat I use it to stretch, workout and also stand on while changing to avoid dirt in my clothes. When it's time to sit, I simply clip the straps together and it forms a 90-degree angle. Perfect support for my back while cooking and reading after a day of riding. Plus, it comes in super bright colors to match the personalities of bike-crazed tourers. 


Ortlieb panniers. Completely waterproof, extremely durable and backed by great customer customer service. What else could you ask for? A lower price tag, I know. Pay the cost up front though and they should last for many tours. Breathable or water resistant panniers seem to be a bad decision for long distance touring anywhere outside of a desert. Some of these rainy days have been so relentless that any weather resistant pannier, even with a rain cover, would have been soaked within a couple hours. Deal breaker when your fleece and down sleeping bag are sitting at the top of your pannier. PVC material is waterproof and also very easy to repair. Glue and a thin piece of PVC is all that is needed. I have the buckled tops and love them. That being said, Wes has the roll tops and likes how much extra he can pack in them, if needed, by not rolling them down or buckling close. He's had a few instances of collected rainwater falling into the pannier as he's opened them though. It's all preference. 

Group gear not included in list, which Wes is carrying, includes:
  • Salt and pepper
  • Parmesan
  • Plastic spoon
  • MSR Vario water filter
  • Icy Hot muscle rub. Works wonders on my sore knees at the end of a cold day.
Tweezers and a sponge seem like nothing when you throw them in your bag. Everything weighs something though and it all adds up. The individual weights of even the big items don't really seem like much. It's the final number that always astounds me. I weighed my bike and gear a few weeks ago and realized I'm carrying a lot more weight than I had thought. Since then, I've mailed a lot of gear home, but also added some. My gear definitely weighs less than it did then, but not by a huge amount. The Surly, fully-loaded with everything I'm pedaling across the country, weighed 118 pounds. That's absolutely everything, excluding my skin and bones. That's with an average food amount, full water and fuel containers, and even the shoes I wear while riding. I'm probably down near 100 pounds now. 

There are still months of trip ahead of me. I'll be sure to give future updates. Time and use shows the good and bad of all gear. I'll be sure to share both. 

Until then, I'll continue sharing the strums of Elliott Smith with these rain drops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment