Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Taxation without Representation

DC was used as a place of rest and relaxation. Upon hearing of a trip to DC, one probably pictures a visit to the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial and even the black gates of the White House. We didn't visit any of these. While running errands, I did whizz by the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument, but didn't even dismount from my bicycle. I had seen them about 12 years before and they were exactly the same. Tends to happen when something is made of stone. Although I must note the Washington Monument was actually under construction due to a crack that formed after an earthquake a couple years ago. Maybe it actually won't be there in another 12 years. Regardless, we were ready for some rest and relaxation. Sightseeing the mall wasn't in our interests.

The poison ivy rash was now at its worst. It had spread to nearly every part of my body and the individual bumps were now connecting to form raised areas. This is supposedly when the allergic reaction is ramping up into high gear. While Wes rested the entire first day, I spent the day running errands. My iPhone screen was fixed within 18 hours of being smashed. Postcards were sent off in the next hour. The following hour found me holding a new debit card. Another hour and I found myself in a dermatologist office getting my poison ivy explosion examined. I explained the length of time I had the rash, how much longer I would be riding and the pain of dealing with rashes in the woods without a shower. Highly understanding of what I was searching for, the doctor gave me the strongest prescription pill available for such a trouble, with four additional doses for future encounters, and promised me it would be gone in three days. Very rarely do I walk out of any doctor's office this satisfied with my visit.

Wes' friend Julie was extremely hospitably when it came to opening up her house to us, in Arlington. He had previously spent a summer living in her spare room, in exchange for watering all her flowers and vegetables in a very precise way. He says there was a science to it. Julie works very long days in the Capitol and therefore we had open access to the house for getting all our little projects done and yes, you guessed it, even more relaxing. We (99% Wes) made her dinner in exchange and the three of us shared stories of work, marathons and our trip. Thank you Julie.

Wes' ex-girlfriend/cousin/friend/confidante/life partner Kate lives in Arlington also and spent her time outside of work with us. They hold a friendship that clearly goes back many years and spans many different periods of their lives. Through different colleges, travels, relationships and a spectrum of interests, they've remained close and seemed to pick up right where they left off the last time their paths crossed. It was refreshing to see two individuals being able to do so. Thank you Kate for the boxes of Mac n' Cheese, my own bar of soap and our first meal of the week. It was delicious, but there's a chance we still ate Big Macs minutes before arriving at your house...

We only went out once in DC, but I finally allowed me to listen to some live jazz and blues music when we did. The Adams Morgan neighborhood of DC offers great live music, a warm atmosphere and jumbo slices of pizza that can supposedly be difficult for a person to eat one of. I highly suggest everybody go to Madam's Organ in DC if you ever find yourself in the area.

For the remaining two days, we literally didn't go more than five blocks from the house. The bikes and all our gear needed attention. I patched two holes in my panniers, fitted a new handlebar bag, put on new pedals and attached Power Grip straps to them. Wes put on some new tires, of which I'm incredibly jealous. I plan to hold off until Tennessee, although my jealousy will probably overcome my cheapness before then.

Riding through Pennsylvania, we realized our hammocks will start to limit us while trying to camp in areas with a lot of farming. Realistically, we could probably always find a spot, but it can certainly limit us. With tents, at least we have the option of simply knocking an a person's door and asking for a little lawn space. With that reasoning, we purchased solo backpacking tents and are carrying them in addition to our hammocks for now. We'll probably send the hammocks home from Arkansas and cry while we do so. Dropping a few tears on their rainflies to be waiting for us with smiles back home.

We tried to leave DC on a Thursday, but didn't get more than a couple miles before we realized what was ahead of us. Two storms were converging right on Arlington. Thunderstorms and 60mph winds colliding into each other. We chose to stay another night and relaxed with Frescas and an amazing movie called Mud. We left DC the next morning in the same way we leave every other city, with great haste and drive. I don't desire to further express my hatred towards urban sprawl and the developments it's created, but it has left a lasting impact on how I see our country expanding. It's cancerous. While often well planned and designed, these communities strip the character and identity out of entire regions. Not simply neighborhoods. In some areas of our country, there are entire regions of developments in which no sign of heritage, pride or particularity are shown. Non-native grasses are planted, pine trees are plopped into the ground, five floor plans are replicated throughout a sea of streets curved in an aesthetically desirable fashion and yet nothing is built or designed while keeping Virginia in mind. Nothing is built with the interests of an individual in mind. While our route out of DC was through Virginia, I wouldn't have had any idea of such until the last five miles of our 55 mile day. Needless to say, it was the least enjoyable day of riding so far. But we pedaled onward, for we had the beautiful mountains of Shenandoah only a day's ride away!






No comments:

Post a Comment